KOLKATA (Metro Rail News): India’s first light-weight metro train which is made of aluminium metal has been flagged off by Mr Manoj Joshi, Secretary, Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA) today, 26th March. The event was held at Uttarpara, Kolkata.
This train is built by Titagarh Wagons Ltd. which is based in West Bengal, India under the Atmanirbhar Bharat initiative. The light weight aluminium body metro train is built for MahaMetro’s Pune project. Maha Metro MD Dr Brijesh Dixit, OSD, MoHUA Shri Jaydeep, Director (Rolling Stock) Shri Sunil Mathur and officials of Titagad Wagons were prominently present on the occasion.
Speaking on the occasion Shri Manoj Joshi said that a new eco-system is being developed in the country because of metro projects in the country. The manufacture of such a train is a big step towards the Make In India concept. He also congratulated Maha Metro MD Dr Dixit for taking a bold decision to use an aluminium-made train. Ten years back, such a decision couldn’t even be thought off, he said and also greeted Titagad Wagons for the risk it has taken in this field. He added that having made this train, its maintenance and ensuring quality is also a challenge.
Dr Brijesh Dixit, MD, Maha Metro said that the manufacturing of such a light-weight aluminium–body train in India for the first time and its use for Maha Metro project is a major step. Work on the Nagpur Metro project was started in 2015 and then there was not a single company manufacturing metro trains in the country. Much progress has been achieved in this direction since then. Two lines of Pune project have been recently launched and passenger services on the remaining project will soon be started he added. The state government has given extensive co-operation in executing Metro projects in the state, he said.
Mr Jaydeep, OSD, MoHUA, in his speech, spoke about the use of aluminium coach was a major achievement for Mass Rapid Transit System projects in the country. This is a landmark decision, he said this is a step towards fulfilling the concept of Atma Nirbhar Bharat as envisaged by the government. The chairman, Titagarh Wagons Shri J P Chaudhari and Managing Director Shri Umesh Chaudhari addressed the gathering and spoke about the project of the aluminium-body metro train.
The salient features of Aluminium-body train are as follows:
• The lightest Metro Coaches in India (6.5% lighter than the conventional stainless-steel coaches).
• The first-time aluminium car body metro cars getting manufactured in India.
• The most energy efficient metro cars due to their lighter weight.
• Being an aluminium Car Body have a longer life and low maintenance.
• Total 34 Trains, each with three car compositions, (Total 102 coaches).
• 3 Car Composition, Total Passenger Capacity: 978 passengers for 3 car train [Driving Motor Car-315, Trailer Car-348], Seats=140 [Driving Motor Car-44, Trailer Car-52 (including 2 wheelchairs)
• 66% Powering with More than 30% energy regeneration- Regenerative braking from 70 kmph to 10 kmph.
• Panic Button for the safety of passengers-4 no. in each car. The passenger can communicate with the driver directly in case of any emergency.
• In-train CCTV Coverage: 98%.