NAGPUR (Metro Rail News): Maha Metro has begun the construction work on one of the most ambitious segments of Maha-Metro project which includes the development of Flyover and Metro route over the existing road and railway line at Kamptee Road. The structure one of its own kind will create 4 layers transportation mechanism at Gaddigodam, Kamptee Road.
Central Railway recently approved to begin construction over Railway Land at Gaddigodam. Piling work has accordingly been commenced. The proposed double-decker construction crosses Railway Line at Gaddigodam near Gurudwara on Kamptee Road. This is a most complex and challenging project work to be taken out ever, mainly over the ever-busy Railway line and the narrow road at Gaddigodam Railway-under-Bridge.
The structure at Gaddigodam crossing has 4 tier transportation system. The primary level is the surface road level under the current-carrying road traffic; the 2nd level is Railway Track. After the construction is over, the 3rd and 4th levels will be flyover and Metro Rail level respectively. The four-layer structure is the need of the hour considering every busy road and the traffic blockage there.
The way has multiple academic institutions, commercial establishments, banks, govt offices lined up on each side of the road. It also serves a link among northern and southern areas of the city. RBI, Kasturchand Park, Sitabuldi Fort are some of the historic and prominent institutions on the road. The Reach-II section of Nagpur Metro Rail Project, which includes the 4-levels transit system, stretches from Sitabuldi Interchange to Automotive Square Metro Station and is 7.30 kilometre. It consists of 7 stations viz., Zero Mile, Kasturchand Park, Gaddigodam Square, Kadvi Chowk, Indora Chowk, Nari Road and finally Automotive Square station. The double-decker structure on Reach-II section stretches to 5.3 kilometres. The flyover at the third level has four lanes for flyover traffic with every path having a width of 7.50 meters.
Technically, a steel composite truss girder of 1400 MT is to be launched over the Railway tracks by suitable launching method. The steel weight composite truss girder of the 80-meter span is around 1400 MT. The RoB structure consists of pile foundations, piers and portal beams and superstructure is steel composite truss girder of the 80-meter span. The RoB structure height is around 25 meter from road level.
Few of the prominent features of the project are as follows:
- The proposed flyover and the metro route share `Right of Way’ – the two structures to be built on a single pillar, thus saving cost and also reducing the usage of road space.
- The fly-over structure would commence from LIC Square and culminate at Automotive Square, both placed on the busy Kamptee Road.
- The 4 levels are i. Kamptee Road, ii. Nagpur-Bhopal Railway Line, iii. Fly-over iv. Metro via-duct.
- The Metro via-duct maximum height would be at Gurdwara at Gaddigodam, where the rail line moves over the road.
- Maximum height of fly-over across the stretch would be at Gaddigodam, where the railway line crosses the road – 14.9 mts.
- In the same way, the max height of via-duct across the stretch will be at the same area – Gaddigodam, where the railway line crosses the road – 24.8 mts.