Metro Rail News (New Delhi): Union Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman delivered her third Budget speech in the Lok Sabha today. The finance minister focused on the sustainable development of railways and metro projects.
Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman has made various announcements in her budget speech. Here are the major highlights announced for Metro & Rail sectors:-
Railway Budget 2021-22
- Indian Railways has prepared a National Rail Plan for 2030. The plan is to create a future-ready railways system by 2030.
- Western DFC and Eastern DFC will be commissioned by June 2022.
- A record allocation of Rs 1,10,055 crore to be provided for Indian Railways, out of this Rs. 1,07,100 is for capital expenditure only.
- Railways will monetise Dedicated Freight Corridors assets for operations and maintenance after commissioning.
Metro projects Budget 2021-22
In our Country currently, 702 km of metro rail already operation; 1,016 km of Metro and RRTS systems under construction in 27 cities.
- MetroLite and MetroNeo will be introduced in Tier 2 cities and peripheral areas of Tier 1 cities.
- Rs. 63000 crore for Chennai Metro phase-1
- Rs. 14,788 crore for Bangalore Metro Phase-2
- Rs. 5,976 crore for Nagpur Metro Phase-2
- Rs. 2,092 crore for Nashik Metro Phase-1
- Rs. 1,957 crore for Kochi Metro Rail Phase-2
The budget has given Chennai Metro the highest amount among all which may further help the metro corporation to speed up the development of the project.
RRTS Project Budget 2021-22
Rs. 4472 crores allocated for India’s first RRTS Project
In 2020, Rs. 2,487 crores were allocated to NCRTC, this year the budget allocation received is near to double what was allocated last year.