The Ahmedabad Metro Phase 2 project, which comprises two corridors covering a total distance of 28.254 km, was approved by the Indian Central Government’s Cabinet on February 19, 2019. The estimated cost of the project is Rs. 5384.17 crores. Prime Minister Narendra Modi laid the foundation stone for the project on March 4, 2019. Phase 2 involves extending Line-2 from Motera Station to Mahatma Mandir in Gandhinagar.
A notice inviting bids for civil construction was published in January 2020, technical bids were opened in June 2020, and construction work started in February 2021.
The Ahmedabad Metro Phase 2 includes key figures such as 20.02 km under construction, 7.41 km approved, and 0 km proposed. While the GMRC’s Phase 2 deadline has not been revealed, my estimate for completion is 2026.
Phase 2 includes two routes: Line-2 (North-South/Red Line) and Line-3 (Eastern Spur). Line-2 is an elevated type route with a length of 22.838 km and a depot located in Indroda. It includes 20 stations with the following names: Koteshwar Road, Vishwakarma College, Tapovan Circle, Narmada Canal, Koba Circle, Juna Koba, Koba Gam, GNLU, Raysan, Randesan, Dholakuva Circle, Infocity, Sector-1, Sector-10A, Sachivalaya, Akshardham, Juna Sachivalaya, Sector-16, Sector-24, and Mahatma Mandir.
Line-3 is also an elevated type route with a length of 5.416 km and includes three stations: Gujarat National Law University (GNLU), Pandit Deendayal Petroleum University (PDPU), and Gujarat International Finance Tec-City (GIFT City).
The following is a list of major contractors involved in the construction of the Line-2 extension from Motera Stadium to Mahatma Mandir as part of the Ahmedabad Metro Phase 2 project:
- For the detailed design consultant (DDC) of the Line-2 extension and the Viaduct, 22 stations, and depot geotechnical investigation, SYSTRA – SYSTRA MVA Consulting (India) Pvt. Ltd. JV and M K Soil Testing Laboratory were selected respectively.
- Ardanuy Ingeniería S.A was selected as the DDC for the power supply and distribution system, 750 V DC third rail traction electrification, and SCADA system.
- Civil Package C1, which includes the viaduct from Motera to GNLU (8.124 km) and GNLU to GIFT City (5.420 km) with 10 stations, was awarded to Afcons Infrastructure.
- Civil Package C2, which covers the viaduct from GNLU to Gandhinagar Sector-1 (6.478 km) with 5 stations, was awarded to Ranjit Buildcon.
- Civil Package C3, which involves the viaduct from Sector-1 to Mahatma Mandir with 7 stations, was awarded to Dilip Buildcon, which submitted the lowest bid.
- The Rolling Stock Package RS3 for 30 coaches had bids invited in April 2022.
- Siemens was the lowest bidder for Electrification Package EP2, which includes 750 V DC third rail.
- VNC – KEC – Emrail JV was selected as the lowest bidder for the Track-work Package, which involves the design, supply, installation, testing, and commissioning of the ballastless track. These contractors play a crucial role in the construction of the Line-2 extension, and their efforts will be instrumental in completing the project within the expected time frame.
There’s also another spur planned to SVPI airport under Phase – 2. You can check it out in the expansion document pdf of Ahmedabad Airport Expansion by Adani