PUNE (Metro Rail News): The first metro train trial run on Sant Tukaram Nagar-Phugewadi section of Line-1 of Pune Metro Rail project commenced on the Maharashtra Metro Rail Corporation Limited (Maha Metro) on December 31, 2019.
Dr. Brijesh Dixit, Managing Director, Maha Metro flagged off the first trial run in presence of other senior officials and staff.
The Maha Metro received a first three-coach train set from the Chinese Rolling Stock manufacture CRRC Corporation Limited (CRRC) and the train was successfully placed on the elevated track above the viaduct at Sant Tukaram Nagar Station on December 30, 2019,
“Pune Metro coach model was unveiled by Hon’ble Chief Minister Shri. Uddhav Thackeray & Hon’ble Guardian Minister Shri. Eknath Shinde on 27th Dec 2019. The metro train trial begins today in the presence of Dr. Brijesh Dixit, MD Maha Metro, and Directors of Maha Metro”, twitted from official twitter handle of Pune Metro Rail project on 2nd January 2020.
The Maha Metro received a second three-coach train set from the CRRC and the same has also been placed on the elevated track for the trial run of the two parallel tracks between Sant Tukaram Nagar Station and Phugewadi Metro station on January 4, 2020,
It is pertinent to mention here that both train sets are received on a loan basis from the Nagapur Metro rail project as Titagarh Firema SpA (an Indian multinational firm) has been awarded the contract to supply 102 Aluminium bodied Metro Rail coaches for Pune Metro Rail Project.
First tunnel breakthrough
Pune Metro underground team achieved the first breakthrough of 200m tunnel within 25 days of work by TBM S78 Mutha at Agriculture College Ground for Underground route Shivajinagar-Swargate on January 1, 2020. The Gulermak-Tata Projects Limited JV had commenced the first tunneling work on December 9, 2019.
The new coaches of Pune Metro have many advanced features. Some of the salient features are:-
- Interior: The coaches have light-weight, broad gangway, regenerative braking, advanced communication system, electronic gadgets charging facilities, air conditioning, priority seating for disabled, pregnant women, elderly and the wheelchair-bound, appropriate signage, passenger information displays, door opening LED strip (will light up and indicate the side of platform) and large windows.
- Lighting: The metro trains are fitted with modern LED lights and a mechanism to control the intensity of illumination.
- Speed: These metro trains can run at a maximum speed of 90 kmph.
- Dedicated Women Coach: The Pune Metro will have a dedicated women’s coach like Delhi Metro.
- Coach graphics: The coach graphics theme draws clues from the Sahyadri mountain range and the historical, cultural, educational & industrial heritage of Pune city.
- Coach design: The coach designs are inspired by the Shaniwar Wada, Mahatma Phule Mandir, IT Park, and Tabla & Tanpura which resemble tradition of art and music.
- Coach colours: The colours used for coach graphics represent the tradition and culture of Pune Pimpri Chinchwad City. Orange for youthfulness, creativity, and joyfulness of Pune Pimpri Chinchwad citizens, blue represents the truthfulness, intelligence, and confidence of Pune’s citizens. The valour, power and dedication of the people are represented by Purple colour. Green colour is the most dominant colour of the city; you will find lots of trees and greenery in Pune Pimpri Chinchwad city.