CHENNAI, INDIA (Metro Rail News): On Monday, Larsen & Toubro (L&T) emerged as the lowest bidder for two elevated contracts of the new 47 KMs Line-5, which will connect Madhavaram – Sholinganallur through 48 stations in the 118.9 KMs Chennai Metro Phase-2 project.
When technical bids were opened in mid-July 2021, it was observed that they are the lowest bidder when Chennai Metro moved on to technical bid evaluation and onward to the financial bid opening stages.
- CP-10-EV-03: 10.2 KM CMBT – Venugopal Nagar with one underground and 11 elevated stations
- C5-ECV-02: 12.431 KM CMBT – Puzhuthivakkam with 12 elevated stations
This package consists of 1 underground and eleven 11 elevated stations at the northern end of Line-5. It includes two disjointed sections on either side of the underground Package UG6 (Kolathur – Nathamnuni), for which L&T is the only bidder. The two sections and other infra includes:
- CMBT to Nathamuni Ramp – 5 stations at CMBT, Kaliamman Koil Street Junction, Kendriya Vidyalaya, Thirumangalam & Anna Nagar Depot
- Retteri Ramp to Venugopal Nagar – 7 stations at Retteri Junction, Shastri Nagar, MMBT, Velmurugan Nagar, Manjambakkam, Assisi Nagar & Venugopal Nagar (underground)
- 1.5 KM depot-line to lines 3 & 5’s Madhavaram Depot
- Cut & cover section between Assisi Nagar Ramp and Venugopal Nagar (length not disclosed)
L&T’s Bid: Rs. 1909.60 crores (approx.)
Tender No.: CMRL/CON/PHASE-II/CORRIDOR5/CP10-EV-03/2021
Scope of Work:
Construction of approx. 10.2 KM of the elevated viaduct, elevated ramps, and 11 elevated stations from Assisi Nagar to CMBT (excluding the underground portion from Retteri Ramp to Nathamuni Ramp) and cut and cover section, depot approach of approx. 1.5 KMs and Venugopal Nagar underground station verification of design suitability for construction, including architectural finishes, plumbing works, signages and all associated works in Corridor 5.
This elevated section’s viaduct and 12 units are proper in the middle of Line-5. It includes two disjointed areas on either side of the double-decker Package C4-ECV-01 (Power House – Porur) awarded to L&T in May 2021.
The two sections and other infrastructure within this package includes:
- CMBT to Alwartiru Nagar (approx. 3.2 KM) with three stations at Grain Market, Sai Nagar Bus Stop and Elango Nagar Bus Stop
- Porur Junction to Puzhuthivakkam (approx. 9 KM) with nine stations at Mugalivakkam, DLF IT SEZ, Sathya Nagar, CTC, Butt Road, Alandur, Adambakkam, Vanuvampet and Puzhuthivakkam
- Underpass at Vanuvampet
CMRL invited tenders for its construction in January 2021 with an undisclosed estimate and a 36-month deadline.
L&T’s Bid: Rs. 1655.15 crores (approx.)
Tender No.: CMRL/PHASE II/CORRIDOR 5/C5-ECV-02
Scope of Work:
Construction of Elevated Viaduct of Approx. 12.431 KM length from ((Ch: 16178 m to 19296 m, Ch:22962 m to 30199 m, Ch: 31178m to 31241 m & Ch: 31657 m to 33710 m)) between CMBT Metro station (excluding station) and Puzhuthivakkam Metro Station including extraordinary spans and construction of 12 no. of Elevated Stations at Grain Market, Sai Nagar Bus Stop, Elango Nagar Bus Stop, Mugalivakkam, DLF IT SEZ, Sathya Nagar, CTC, BUTT Road, Alandur, Adambakkam, Vanuvampet and Puzhuthivakkam and Integrated highway grade separator from Mugalivakkam to MIOT Hospital, Vehicular underpass at Vanuvampet and all associated works in Corridor-5 of CMRL Phase-2 project.