PUNE, INDIA (Metro Rail News): The 2 Pune Metro corridors are expected to be completely operational by 2022. The much-awaited Pune Metro rail project that will connect the Pune Central location and the extended city limits of Pimpri and Chinchwad has been targeted for services by 2022, a Pune Metro rail official said. The two corridors of the Pune Metro network namely, Pune Metro Line 1 PCMC, Swargate and Pune Metro Line 2 Vanaz-Ramwadi are expected to be available for passenger services by 2022. However, Sant Tukaram-Phugewadi section of Pune Metro Line 1 will become operational in the upcoming few months itself. This Metro project has become the country’s fastest metro project to reach the milestone of trials in 30 months.
Pune Metro project: Current status
- The previous month, the first inaugural trial run of the Pune Metro was successfully directed at the Sant Tukaram Nagra station of the PCMC-Swargate line. The trial run was directed at the Sant Tukaram Nagar metro station by the distance of 1.4-kilometre overhead electric cable which had been activated as part of the project.
- On 5 January 2019, the second tunnel work by the TBM was inaugurated. By the tunnel boring work, 2 parallel tunnels in the route are being dug among the Range hill and Swargat of the Pune Metro Line 1 PCMC–Swargate
- The work of the metro pillars, rail laying, span, metro stations works, overhead cables, electric poles, electrical substation, charging of above cable works and the opening of the first Pune Metro rail coaches have been finished in record time.
- The Sant Tukaram – Phugewadi sector of Pune Metro Line 1 PCMC-Swargate, with 4 metro stations will make operational in the upcoming few months.
Details route, stations, features of Pune Metro:
- Once fully operational, the Pune Metro network will have 2 corridors. The first corridor will be the 16 kilometres Pune Metro Line 1 PCMC – Swargate including 14 metro stations and the 2nd will be 14 kilometres Pune Metro Line 2 Vanaz-Ramwadi including 16 metro stations.
- Country’s first aluminium-bodied coaches boasted by Pune Metro. The aluminium coaches would be lightweight having regenerative braking, advanced communication system, like the broad gangway.
- There would be an automatic fare collection system in Pune metro with a combination of smart cards as well as digital paper tickets.
- Pune Metro coaches would be ready to achieve a likely speed of 31-33 kmph. The stations are being developed by the world-class modern amenities such as CCTV cameras, escalators, lifts, tools for differently-abled passengers.
- In the initial stages, the Pune Metro train sets will comprise 4 coaches, which will then be extended to 6 coaches, depending on the commuter footfall and demand.