KOCHI (Metro Rail News): Phase II project of Kochi Metro Rail Project is starting from JLN Stadium to Infopark via Kakkanad is for a distance of 11.2 KM, at an estimated cost of Rs.1957.05 Crores (including taxes and duties) has been included in the central budget announced on 1st Feb 2021 by Smt. Nirmala Sitharaman, Honorable Minister for Finance, Government of India.
“The proposed network connects the central city of Ernakulam to the Infopark and Kakkanad. Infopark is known as largest IT hub of Kerala and Kakkanad is the place where the district headquarters and major residential and commercial hub with industrial area like SEZ is located. The alignment consisting of 11.2 KM viaduct and 11 Elevated metro stations will inter-connect existing Phase-I corridor at JLN Stadium Metro station. By connecting Phase-I to Phase-II, passengers will get a seamless travel experience. The Project is planned to be completed in 04 years.”, the KMRL said in a statement.
The Phase II of Kochi Metro Corridor will provide multi-model integration by integrating the metro alignment with Bus system, Water Transport-Ferry system, Public Bicycle etc. At Infopark-II station, integration with Silver line, which is the flagship semi-high-speed railway line between Thiruvananthapuram and Kasarkode is planned. The metro rail alignment will act as a feeder service of Silverline. The Phase-II metro corridor will integrate with Water metro at Kakkanad Jetty and at Infopark Jetty.
“It is a welcome move, we will now start the development plan as well as the design of phase II line and will also be now preparing the necessary tender documents so that we should be able to complete this process in next 4-6 months and by June-July we will be in a position to have the EPC contractor on board for implementing the project.” – Said Shri.Alkesh Kumar Sharma IAS, Managing Director, KMRL.
The project is expected to benefit the society, the city of Kochi and the state of Kerala in the following manner:
• Phase-II network of Kochi Metro shall connect the Central City of Ernakulam to Infopark and Kakkanad. Infopark is known as the largest IT hub of Kerala and Kakkanad is the place, where the district headquarters and major residential and commercial hub with industrial area like Special Economic Zone (SEZ) is located.
• The alignment will Interconnect Palarivattom, residential areas like Aalinchuvadu and Chembumukku, District headquarters Kakkanad, SEZ and IT hub Infopark.
• Phase II Kochi Metro Corridor will provide multi-model integration by integrating the metro alignment with Bus system, Water Transport-Ferry system, Public Bicycle etc
• Provide connectivity to proposed Semi High Speed- Silver Rail line project.
• The Phase II metro corridor will integrate with Water metro at Kakkanad Jetty and at Infopark Jetty.
• Major attraction of this corridor is the connectivity made to the district headquarters and IT hub to city Centre of Ernakulam.
• Reduces congestion on the roads and it will offer a safe, fast and comfortable travel experience.
• This project will provide continuous availability of affordable, reliable, safe, secure and seamless energy efficient transport system in the urban agglomeration of the city.
• The project will reduce the accidents, pollution, travel time and will regulate urban expansion and land use for sustainable development.