NEW DELHI(Metro Rail News): Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) is planning to facilitate flyovers for vehicles to deal with the problem of traffic jams at various locations in Delhi.
The Engineering marvel of DMRC is at play with the proposition to construct decker viaducts to accommodate metro and vehicles on specific stretches. The viaduct will have a flyover for the vehicles in the first half, while the viaduct for the metro in the 2nd half.
Status and Location
The DMRC has planned to execute such innovations on the three lines currently under construction in Phase IV, which are as follows:
|Bhajanpura and Yamuna Vihar
|90% (Sub-structure) + 25% (Super Structure)
|Azadpur and Rani Jhansi Road
|91%( foundational) + 74% (Pier work)
|Sangam Vihar and Ambedkar Nagar
|100% (Substructure) + 11 piers
Advantages of such Viaducts
In the traffic-congested scenario of Delhi, such innovation offers several advantages, particularly in urban transportation planning. Here are some potential benefits:
- Optimal Land Utilization: Having both metro and vehicle lanes on separate levels allows for efficient use of limited urban space. This is especially important in densely populated areas where land is at a premium.
- Reduced Congestion: Separate levels for metro and vehicle traffic can help reduce congestion on roads and railways. This separation minimises interference between the two modes of transportation, leading to smoother traffic flow.
- Enhanced Public Transportation: Including a metro viaduct in the superstructure promotes public transportation, which is often more sustainable and can reduce the number of private vehicles on the road.
- Cost-Effective Construction: Constructing a double-decker viaduct with a metro superstructure and a vehicle flyover sub-structure can be more cost-effective than building separate infrastructures for each mode. This is especially relevant in areas with limited resources for extensive infrastructure projects.
- Aesthetic Considerations: The design of a double-decker viaduct can be aesthetically pleasing, and the incorporation of metro viaducts and a vehicle flyover can contribute to the overall architectural appeal of the urban landscape.
- Flexibility in Urban Planning: A double-decker viaduct allows for flexibility in urban planning and can adapt to changing transportation needs over time. The infrastructure can be designed to accommodate future expansions or modifications based on evolving city dynamics.
Such advantages in Urban Planning in Delhi will offer ample opportunities for further redevelopment and aesthetic advantages for the city.
Stay tuned with us to read more about metros & railways!
Intrigued by the future of Metro and its impact on our city? Join us at our upcoming InnoMetro event to delve deeper into this vital issue. Stay informed, get involved, and let’s ride the Metro towards a brighter, more sustainable future together.