NEW DELHI (Metro Rail News): During the nationwide lockdown Piyush Goyal led Indian Railways marks noteworthy earnings by Parcel trains services, transportation of necessary products & items like medical equipment, medical supplies, dairy products, food, oil, etc. in small parcel quantities is very crucial.
So, to fill in this essential requirement the national transporter has built Indian railway parcel vans accessible for quick mass transportation via e-commerce companies along with other customers including state govt. By the operation of these Parcel Special trains since the lockdown began, Indian Railways has registered an earning of around seven cr. To assure a continuous supply of essential items, Indian Railways is working time-tabled Parcel Special trains on selected routes.
As per the Ministry of Railways, the zonal railways are recognising & notifying railway routes daily for running these Parcel trains. Now, these Parcel trains are being run on 65 routes over the Indian Railways network. These railway routes have been recognised to include the following points –
- Proper connectivity of railways among major Indian cities, viz Delhi, Kolkata, Chennai, Hyderabad & Bengaluru
- Rail connectivity from capitals of states or major cities to all the parts of the state
- Assuring railway connectivity to the North-East part of the nation
- Supply of milk & other dairy products from surplus zones like Gujarat, Andhra Pradesh to high demand regions
- Transport of other key items like medical supplies, medicines, agricultural products, etc. from producing sectors to different other parts of India.
On 14 April 2020 till 6:00 PM as per a statement through Railway Ministry, as many as 77 train services were conducted out of that 75 trains were time-tabled Parcel trains. Moreover, in just single day materials of 1835 tonnes were loaded, giving Indian Railways Rs 63 lakh earning.
From the opening of lockdown, a total of 522 train services were conducted in which 458 services were time-tabled trains. Accordingly, a total of 20, 474 tonnes of consignments have been loaded & the earnings of Indian Railways by Parcel Special Trains have been nearby Rs 7.54 cr the ministry declared.